How regular dental checkups help with maintaining a healthy smile!
Your dentist will advise you to see them at least twice yearly for a dental checkup. But what occurs at these appointments, and why are they so important? Dr. Varvara Clark in Chalfont, Pennsylvania, educates patients on ways to keep their smile healthy by integrating routine dental examinations and cleanings with her team!
What happens during a regular dental checkup?
Dr. Clark describes the regular dental checkup as a routine dental examination and teeth cleaning that is part of preventative dentistry. Most conditions, including periodontal disease and tooth decay, can be avoided with a proper oral healthcare routine and regular visits to the dentist.
During your six-month checkup with your dentist, you can expect the following treatments and services:
- Physical examination. This includes a visual exam to check for any signs of oral disease or other conditions such as swelling, discoloration, cavities, and loose teeth.
- Dental x-rays and imaging. These are generally taken once a year to detect any issues that cannot be seen with the naked eye. Dr. Clark will use the x-rays to look for signs of cavities, impacted teeth, and other potential dental issues.
- Teeth cleaning. A professional cleaning known as prophylaxis will remove any plaque buildup from your teeth and help prevent gum disease. Your hygienist may also advise on proper brushing and flossing techniques during your appointment.
- Fluoride treatment. Fluoride application is a simple process that helps to strengthen the natural teeth and protect them from cavities by applying a varnish to the natural tooth enamel.
- Dental sealants. These thin protective coatings can be applied to the surfaces of certain teeth to help prevent decay.
Call today to learn more about how vital routine visits to the dentist can be for a healthy smile!
Receiving regular dental checkups with a professional is an integral part of achieving and maintaining proper oral health and detecting any potential issues early. If you have any questions about your checkup, please don’t hesitate to ask Dr. Varvara Clark and her team at Chalfont Dental Care. She can answer any questions you might have and provide the best possible dental care experience for you! Call (215) 826-3282 to request an appointment at the office, conveniently located at 8 Meadowbrook Lane, Suite #1, in Chalfont, PA.